Manomet is a nonprofit committed to science-based decisions for humans and nature.
Our scientists and staff work from Alaska to Argentina. Our headquarters are located on a 40-acre waterfront campus in Plymouth, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod Bay, 45 miles south of Boston. We have a satellite office in Brunswick, Maine. With an annual budget of approximately $5M and more than 30 scientists and staff, Manomet offers an entrepreneurial atmosphere of dedicated professionals who support each other toward a common vision of creating a more sustainable world.
Click or tap the “+” icon next to each listing for more detail.
Reports To: Senior Manager, Communications
FLSA Classification: PT/Non-Exempt
Manomet seeks a top-notch, versatile writer able to work on a diverse portfolio of pieces. The ideal candidate will be a detail-oriented, clear, concise, and direct communicator with a strong command of the English language. They will write content that positions and promotes Manomet’s work to various audiences. Commitment to the environment, outdoor recreation experience, and familiarity with conservation, in general, are preferable.
This is a part time (20 hours per week) position at our Headquarters in Plymouth, MA.
Manomet is a 501(c)(3) organization that empowers stakeholders through science and works with partners to make a world where ecosystems and human communities thrive. Since Manomet’s beginnings as a bird banding operation in 1969, its science and research have expanded to focus on ecosystem management and resilience, shorebird conservation, and educating tomorrow’s leaders about the importance of the natural world. Workplace diversity, science, and climate change are the fundamental principles driving Manomet’s work today.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The Copywriter will work with Manomet’s Senior Manager of Communications to promote Manomet’s work, including writing and editing press releases, social media posts, web copy, newsletter articles, grant proposals, and donor stewardship materials. They will also edit content written by other Manomet staff and writers for correctness, accuracy, and flow. Responsibilities will include:
- Writing content as assigned by the Senior Manager of Communications for various communications vehicles, both online and in print
- Working with Manomet staff to create and publish content on a rolling schedule
- Researching scientific topics and interviewing scientists and partners from diverse backgrounds
- Using SEO principles to maximize online content reach
- Editing content on Manomet’s website and social media channels, as well as content designed for print in Adobe InDesign, Word, and Canva
- Reviewing content for accuracy, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Ensuring correct tone, voice, clarity, flow, and structure of content
PREPARATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously while adhering to schedules and overlapping deadlines
- Must be able to positively take direction and feedback and apply it appropriately
- Must be able to self-edit
- Proficiency in Adobe InDesign and Photoshop is desired
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Strong computer literacy and willingness to learn new applications
- Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, or related field
- 3+ years’ experience writing professionally
- Strong interest in the environment
- Hands-on, roll-up-your-sleeves, willing-to-dive-in style
- Must successfully pass a background check
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Normal office business environment
- Close work (paperwork, visual examination)
- Occasional walking, standing, and bending
- Ability to sit at a computer for long periods of time
- Remote work possible
$25-$30/hour. Compensation commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email a resume and cover letter, firstname.lastname@example.org by November 14, 2022.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case basis.
Manomet provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.